Thank you for visiting us.buyolympus.com, a Web site of Olympus America Inc. and Olympus Imaging America Inc. (collectively, "Olympus"). At olympusamerica.com, we know that you care how information about you is used and shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly.
We want you to understand how and why we collect, use and disclose the personal information about you on our Web site. If you have additional questions or would like further information on this topic, please feel free to contact us. We may update this Policy from time to time, so please check this Policy periodically for changes.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND USE AT THIS WEB SITE
- We gather customer information needed to provide you with superior service, communicate information that we believe will be of interest to you and to administer our business.
- We do not collect any personal information about you at our Web site unless you choose to provide it to us voluntarily. We define "personal information" as information that is unique to you, and might include your name, user name, email address or phone number. Generally, we need this basic information about you to send you emails if you choose to receive them. Other examples of when we may ask you to voluntarily provide personally identifiable information include when you choose to provide us with your preference information (such as interests, product preferences and items purchased), when you register a product or when you enter a sweepstakes or promotion (information such as name, address and telephone number, and other qualifying information).
- If you do provide us with personal information, we will use it only for the purposes described where it is collected or to aggregate data in a manner that does not identify you, and we will not sell, license, transmit or disclose this information outside of Olympus or its affiliates unless (1) you expressly authorize us to do so, (2) in order to provide our services to you, (3) it is disclosed to entities that perform marketing or data aggregation services on our behalf, or with which we have joint marketing arrangements, (4) it is necessary in connection with a sale of all or substantially all of the assets of Olympus or the merger of Olympus into another entity or any consolidation, share exchange, combination, reorganization or like transaction in which Olympus is not the survivor, or (5) otherwise as we are required or permitted by law.
- If you are a California resident, you may ask us to refrain from sharing your information (whether collected online or offline) with third parties for their marketing purposes. Please tell us your preference by contacting us as indicated in the "Contacting Us" section of this Policy.
WE DO NOT COLLECT INFORMATION FROM CHILDREN
- We are strongly committed to preserving online privacy for all of our Web site visitors, including children. olympusamerica.com is designed for use only by adults and children age 13 and older with the consent of their parents. Consistent with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, we will not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 13. Furthermore, we may restrict entries to any contests, sweepstakes or promotions to entrants who are at least 18 years of age.
PROFILES AND SCREEN NAMES
- To take advantage of certain interactive features of our Web site, you may be required to register as a member. As part of the registration, you may be able to create a profile with an associated screen name of your choosing. You acknowledge that if you choose to use your real name or something like it as your screen name, you voluntarily may be relinquishing some of the privacy that your screen name might afford you.
- We appreciate your questions and comments about our Web site and services and welcome your email messages to mailboxes listed on our Web site. We will share your messages with those within our organization who are most capable of addressing the issues contained in your message. We will keep a copy of your message until we have had an opportunity to address your concerns. We may archive your message for a certain period of time or discard it, but your email address will not be used for any other purpose.
CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY
- We restrict access to personal information collected about you at our Web site to our employees, our affiliates' employees or others who need to know that information to provide services to you or in the course of conducting our normal business operations. While no Web site can guarantee security, we maintain appropriate physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information collected via the Web site. We protect our databases with various physical, technical and procedural measures and we restrict access to your information by unauthorized persons. We also advise all Olympus employees about their responsibility to protect customer data and we provide them with appropriate guidelines for adhering to our company's business ethics standards and confidentiality policies.
- We do not guarantee that any information you provide will not be intercepted by a third party during transmission over any public networks or otherwise. You bear the risk of communicating with us electronically and we are not responsible for any resulting loss or damage.
THE RIGHT TO VERIFY THE ACCURACY OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- Keeping information accurate and up-to-date is important to us. You may be able to personalize your use of our Web site by becoming a registered user and by doing so, we are better able to assist you with your specific needs. Once registered, you can review and maintain your account information at any time. Your account information is secure and is accessible by using a password that you select. Do not share your password with anyone.
CONTESTS, GAMES AND OTHER PROMOTIONS
- On our Web site, you may wish to participate in contests, games and other promotions that we may offer from time to time. Through these promotions, you may choose to participate in activities such as sharing information found on our Web site with others and sending email invitations. If you choose to participate in these promotions, and are eligible to do so, we may ask you for information such as your name, email address, date of birth and telephone number.
- We use the information you provide to administer the contests, games and other promotions and to communicate with you. We may also aggregate such information in a manner that does not identify you and use it for benchmarking purposes. As mentioned above, if you create a profile and submit an entry in connection with a contest or promotion, your name, profile and entry, but not your email address, phone number and age, will be visible to other Web site users. We will not use information you provide about other people for any purpose except the purpose you direct without first getting their consent.
LINKS TO OTHER SITES
- For your convenience we may provide links to other Web sites and Web pages that we do not control. We cannot be responsible for the privacy practices of any Web sites or pages not under our control and we do not endorse any of these Web sites or pages, the services or products described or offered on such sites or pages, or any of the content contained on those sites or pages.
USE OF "COOKIES" OR OTHER DATA COLLECTION TOOLS
- A cookie is a piece of information which a Web server may place on your computer when you visit a Web site. Cookies are commonly used by Web sites to improve the user experience and have not been known to transmit computer viruses or otherwise harm your computer. Many cookies last only through a single Web site session, or visit. Others may have an expiration date, or may remain on your computer until you delete them.
- Our cookies will track your online activity on this Web site. Our cookies will also allow us to capture and aggregate information collected from you during multiple visits to our Web site, including data you supply in certain online forms. This information will be used in a manner consistent with your stated preferences. Our cookies do not gather personally identifiable information, though they may allow us to connect your Web site visit to a new or pre-existing contact record.
- You can decide if and how your computer will accept a cookie by configuring your preferences or options in your browser. However, if you choose to reject cookies, you may not be able to use certain of our online products and services or Web site features.
- We may occasionally use other companies to set cookies on our Web site and gather cookie information for us. In some cases, we may also use another company to operate Web servers or process credit card purchases for our Web site. We use the cookie information gathered by these companies in the same manner as stated above.
- We may use third-party cookies as part of remarketing activities we conduct with Google and/or other third-party vendors, to help provide you with relevant promotional offers as you use the Internet. As part of these remarketing activities, these third-party cookies may record your visits to this Web site and Web sites visited prior to using this Web site. Such cookies can then be used to serve advertisements to you on other Web sites. You may choose to be exempt from the use of Google remarketing cookies at the Google advertising privacy page. Alternatively, you may opt-out of remarketing on the Google network and similar networks at the Network Advertising Initiative opt out page. Opting out will not prevent advertisements from being served to you on the Internet; it will only affect advertisements that utilize remarketing cookies to serve advertisements on the specified advertising networks. We are not responsible for the activities of other parties that may not comply with your opt-out requests.
- In addition to the information we collect from cookies, we also obtain information which you provide to us online - or through other communication with us. In some cases, we retain both the cookie information and/or the information you provide to us online. In other cases, we retain only the cookie and/or online information you give us if you request us to do so for your use in subsequent sessions.
- An IP address is a unique identifier that certain electronic devices use to identify and communicate with each other on the Internet. When you visit our Web site, we may view the IP address of the device you use to connect to the Internet. We use this information to determine the general physical location of the device and understand from what regions of the world our Web site visitors come. We also may use this information to enhance our Web site or to determine your eligibility to participate in promotions (such as one per IP address).
- Certain pages on our Web site contain "Web beacons" (also know as Internet tags, pixel tags and clear GIFs). These Web beacons allow third parties to obtain information such as the IP address of the computer that downloaded the page on which the beacon appears, the URL of the page on which the beacon appears, the time the page containing the beacon was viewed, the type of browser used to view the page, and the information in cookies set by the third party.
- If we send you any promotional emails, and you no longer would like to receive such emails, please simply follow the "Unsubscribe" instructions on those emails. Your email address will be removed from our marketing list. Please allow us a reasonable period of time in order to satisfy your request.
VISITING OUR WEBSITE FROM OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES
- If you are visiting our Web site from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored or processed in the United States, where some of our servers are located. The data protection and other laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country, but please be assured that we take steps to protect your privacy. By using our services, you understand that your information may be transferred to our facilities and those third parties with whom we share it as described in this Policy.
- We may change this Policy at any time and from time to time. The most recent version of the Policy is reflected by the version date located at the bottom of this Policy. This Policy is not intended to and does not create any contractual or other legal right in or on behalf of any party.
- If you have any questions about this Policy or would like to learn more about how we protect privacy, please contact us as directed on our Web site at http://www.olympusamerica.com/oai_contactus.asp.
Effective Date: July 1, 2011